5 Things People Forget To Do When They Move
When planning a move, people have so much to remember that it becomes easy to forget important things. For example, updating bank and medical records. Below are five things to not forget when moving.
- Have an emergency fundSetting money aside for emergencies is typically the last thing on the to-do-list when planning a move.
It is always better to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. It is not uncommon for unexpected mistakes to happen such as lost keys, a vehicle breaking down or a phone breaking or being misplaced during the stress of a move. For this reason, we suggest setting aside between $400-$1000 for emergencies.
- Sell or get rid of everything you do not needBy thinning out the items in your home that you do not use or no longer serve you, you not only have less items to pack, you have less to actually move. This can save you both time, energy, and money in the long run. Furthermore, your new home will not become instantly cluttered.
We suggest having a garage sale or donating to your favorite local charity for a tax write off.
Your pocket book and new home will thank you.
- Keep all of your documents in a safe place.Just as your phone may become misplaced during the stress of your move, so can your important documents. In order to avoid this, be sure to keep birth certificates, social security cards, bank statements, tax documents, property deeds and other important items with you. As an added precaution, you can take photocopies of your documents on your smartphone.
- Protect fragile items.Take extra precaution when moving fragile items. Invest in extra packing paper or bubble wrap in order to prevent breaking your fragile belongings.
- Go on a mini-shopping spreeOnce you’re moved in, stock up on basic items you will need in your new home that you may not think of until the moment you need it. For example, cleaning supplies, light bulbs, garbage bags, tape, superglue, batteries and air filters.
Hire a professional mover. When you hire a mover, it will automatically free up your stress load and to-do-list. You will have more time to focus on the exciting parts of your move such as the interior decorating of your new home and getting to know the new neighborhood. By hiring a professional moving company, you will have less headaches, stress and worry to deal with.